We know for a fact that driving is a serious business and that navigating in traffic is a very common activity of every driver all over the states. Having said that, road accidents statistics show a number of collisions occur during traffic due to failure to observe, exceeding the speed limit, mental, physical driver conditions or in short, human error. Now, it doesn't mean that we stop driving but at least we could behave and apply adequate safety margins when hitting the road, how? See some strategies that applicable when driving in city traffic.
What Are Some Driving Approach to Consider?
There's no such thing as "risk-free" when it comes to driving, there is a possible hazard in every mile of the road. Traffic congestion is a road condition that can produce a negative impact on many drivers performance. However, you can drive and survive through following safe driving guidelines like as follows.
Do not entertain distractions
As we have noticed, traffic condition involves crowded vehicles as well as people with mix emotion. And the key to safe driving is to observe (keep your eyes moving) and never pay attention to any distraction like;
- Avoid too much talking with your passenger when in traffic.
- Do not reach your device/phones in your pocket; install a phone bike mount to feel convenient.
- Try to avoid listening loud music while on the road or when it is traffic.
- Take a look at your side mirrors regularly.
Being a defensive driver requires excellent skill. You should stay alert in order react to an emergency situation and prevent a dangerous event. Defensive driving also includes.
- Have a good road overview to spot potential problems before it occurs.
- Always use your sense of sight and sound, be cautious for vehicles that erratically overtake.
- Be a good citizen by following traffic rules and regulation.
- Never underestimate the used of signal lights, switch it on when turning left or right.
- Follow the rule of thumb when it comes to distance, 2 seconds apart between you and the other motorcycle.
- Don't drink and drive or never hop in on the bike when tired.
Knowing your destination is an advantage as you can determine the hours wherein traffic took in. Try the following strategies.
- If you think that your regular route will be traffic at that particular time, find an alternative route.
- Try to leave early from home like leaving fifteen to thirty minutes ahead will keep you safe and assure to reach your destination on time.
The chance of bumping with another car when traffic occurs is possible most likely when you drive beyond the limit. Trying this approach will help to avoid road disaster.
- Adjust your speed when approaching the traffic area.
- A good balance of speed. Too slow will makes other drivers feel annoyed while too fast might allow you to collide with other vehicles.
- Try to avoid merging or changing lanes, the more you merge the higher chance you mess up. Be patient.
The following strategies will surely help and lessen the chance of experiencing accidents on the road. But, one essential practice that we could add is, check or replace your motorcycle brake pads before you drive. This way, you can instantly react (step on the brake) or completely stop within the distance when you see a potential traffic commotion ahead.
Remember, anticipate what might happen in advance and be prepared. That's what safe driving in the city traffic means.